From Theory to Practice
Students will use scaffolding to research and organize information for writing a research paper. A research paper scaffold provides students with clear support for writing expository papers that include a question (problem), literature review, analysis, methodology for original research, results, conclusion, and references. Students examine informational text, use an inquiry-based approach, and practice genre-specific strategies for expository writing. Depending on the goals of the assignment, students may work collaboratively or as individuals. A student-written paper about color psychology provides an authentic model of a scaffold and the corresponding finished paper. The research paper scaffold is designed to be completed during seven or eight sessions over the course of four to six weeks.
back to top
back to top
FROM THEORY TO PRACTICE
O'Day, S. (2006) Setting the stage for creative writing: Plot scaffolds for beginning and intermediate writers. Newark, DE: International Reading Association.
- Research paper scaffolding provides a temporary linguistic tool to assist students as they organize their expository writing. Scaffolding assists students in moving to levels of language performance they might be unable to obtain without this support.
- An instructional scaffold essentially changes the role of the teacher from that of giver of knowledge to leader in inquiry. This relationship encourages creative intelligence on the part of both teacher and student, which in turn may broaden the notion of literacy so as to include more learning styles.
- An instructional scaffold is useful for expository writing because of its basis in problem solving, ownership, appropriateness, support, collaboration, and internalization. It allows students to start where they are comfortable, and provides a genre-based structure for organizing creative ideas.
Biancarosa, G., and Snow, C. E. (2004.) Reading next-A vision for action and research in middle and high school literacy: A report from the Carnegie Corporation of New York. Washington, DC: Alliance for Excellent Education.
- In order for students to take ownership of knowledge, they must learn to rework raw information, use details and facts, and write.
- Teaching writing should involve direct, explicit comprehension instruction, effective instructional principles embedded in content, motivation and self-directed learning, and text-based collaborative learning to improve middle school and high school literacy.
- Expository writing, because its organizational structure is rooted in classical rhetoric, needs to be taught.
back to top
Research paper complete unit.
Research papers made easy! This complete unit has everything you need to teach writing a research paper from start to finish.
***UPDATED***Now includes NEW MLA 8th edition citation guidelines.
For the APA version of this unit, click here:
Research Papers Complete Unit - APA Style
Everything here is classroom-tested with hundreds of students who have successfully written a research paper. There are 65 pages of teacher notes, handouts, worksheets, activities and examples, all in an easy-to-follow progression. Includes pre-writing, how to find appropriate sources, taking notes, writing body paragraphs using the "research sandwich" method, outlining, introductions and conclusions, revising, group work, MLA formatting, avoiding plagiarism and group work. Also included are fun activities for something a little different. Using this unit, your students might actually enjoy writing research papers!
Originally written for reluctant learner high school students, I have had a lot of feedback from middle school and junior high teachers letting me know that they have used it effectively in their classrooms as well.
Includes these individual products:
MLA Citation Guidelines
(without Power Point)
Research Papers - Writing Body Paragraphs
Pair with this companion product to generate ideas for research papers:
Writing Prompts for Research Papers and Response Papers
This unit is also available in two money-saving bundles
Essay Writing Bundle
Essay Writing Mega Bundle
You might also like:
Writing a Great Thesis Statement
Revising Paragraphs in Essays
Writing a Summary and Response Essay - Complete Unit
Writing a Persuasive Essay - Complete Unit
Writing a Narrative Essay - Complete Unit
Writing a Compare Contrast Essay - Complete Unit