As one of the biggest names in retail in the Asia-Pacific region, Pacific Brands may have began life manufacturing pneumatic tyres as ‘Dunlop' back in the 1890s but they are now the driving force behind iconic brands such as Bonds, Sheridan, Berlei, Tontine, Dunlopillow, Dunlop Flooring and Jockey.
From their headquarters in Melbourne, the company relies on a workforce of over 3,500 people nationally for its ongoing success. With theft and financial misappropriation being a significant threat in retail, satisfactory due diligence is key to successful recruitment, which means Pacific Brands considers stringent police checking of employees to be an integral part of their employment process.
Considering the profile of Pacific Brands, job advertisements by the company attract a massive amount of attention. Seasonal ebbs and flows of such a large customer-facing workforce also mean employee turnover can be high so any police checking procedure at Pacific Brands needs to comfortably handle high volumes while still retaining efficiency.
Prior to partnering with National Crime Check (NCC) in 2015, Pacific Brands completed police checks manually, which placed both labour and time demands on the company's HR resources.
"We had a form that potential employees would complete," explains Claire Kirk, HR Manager at Pacific Brands. "When they came in for their first interview, we'd ask them to bring 100 points of identification and to fill out the police check form. We would then get the interviewer to look through their I.D. and sign-off on the police check application."
Claire believes this largely manual process highlighted a number of inefficiencies that resulting in wasting both the company's time and that of the candidates.
"If they forgot their I.D., they would have to come back in and, quite often, we were getting people to complete their police check forms when we actually didn't end up progressing with them in the recruitment process anyway," concedes Claire. "We couldn't get them to email the information either so we would hold onto that initial paper I.D. form, and we would make every candidate do it on a ‘just-in-case' basis - just in case we wanted to proceed with them to the next round."
Pacific Brands decided there had to be a better way of completing police checks that offers a more efficient - and even enjoyable - experience for all involved. They went about researching the types of service and products available on the Australian market.
"We got in touch with three suppliers and we did testing with those suppliers," admits Claire. "We would get certain candidates and put them through the different processes from the three vendors. At the end of that process, we got in touch with the candidates and we also liaised with our recruiters in the business to determine which vendor was offering the best solution for us."
After extensive trialling, further online research and conversations with HR professionals from other companies, Pacific Brands found a police check service that not only benefitted Pacific Brands but benefitted the candidates too - and that service was National Crime Check.
National Crime Check has enabled Pacific Brands to take a strategically smarter approach to their police checks. The process is simplified and offers greater visibility at every stage of recruitment by seamlessly locking and loading into Pacific Brands' existing HR platform, Springboard.
"It was a remarkably easy transition," says Claire about the integration into Springboard. "It now means we have full visibility over where a candidate is at: have they received the police check information? Have they completed it? Has it been processed by NCC? We can send out an invitation to complete the police check via Springboard at any stage in the recruitment process, and it's all automated."
Given the nature of their business unit, Claire Kirk and her team see their candidates as customers and, from this perspective, the benefits to Pacific Brands' customers has been noteworthy.
"We don't have as much paperwork from our end but the main advantage is NCC has really improved our candidate experience," continues Claire. "Whenever we have someone who goes through our recruitment process, we want them to have a good experience, whether they are successful or not."
"The process now is far more streamlined and easier - and it's actually quite a fun thing to do too," confirms Claire, referring to functions such as candidate's taking photographs of I.D. and then submitting them for verification directly from a desktop computer or smartphone.
"The fact that our recruiters can easily access all the information on candidates - and it's all there in Springboard - is a bonus but probably the main thing for us is that it's easy for our candidates," emphasises Claire. "Retail just moves so quickly. We want our candidates to have an interesting experience and a really quick experience. If we're held up by one or two days, we can easily lose a candidate to another business out there that's moving quicker than us."
"Our people are important, and anything that's making it easier for us to make people happy is very valuable to a company like Pacific Brands."
Post categoriesCase Study
- Join an Internationally recognised and premium home and lifestyle brand
- Great employee discounts, benefits and incentives
- Beautiful Heritage Offices in Ultimo
Inspiring beautiful Australian living since 1967.
In celebration of 50 years of Sheridan, we continue to be inspired by a uniquely Australian essence, and the vast landscapes of our beautiful country.
From pioneering beginnings as Australia's first textile printing business founded by Claudio Alcorso, to collaborations with iconic Australian artists in the 1980's, Sheridan has a rich history of artistry, craftsmanship and quality.
Our continuing devotion to creating the finest quality products, painted by hand in the Sheridan Sydney Design Studio, is an ode to Alcorso's creative spirit which is still woven throughout every piece we create at Sheridan today.
In our 50th year, we also celebrate the launch of Sheridan Studio; enabling our customers to curate, create and style their homes with an expanded offering of furniture and homewares in our new, most innovative retail concept.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assisting and supporting the Senior Designers in the creation and execution of future concepts
- Colour and print expertise
- Assisting and maintaining all admin for design and development
- Collaborating and developing strong relationships with cross functional teams to prepare quality presentations and sales tools for internal range showings
- Complete small design projects under the guidance of Manager
- Use creative forecast services, magazines, colour authorities, websites and market analysis to assist in providing information for trend directions, story boards and project work
- Collaborating and developing strong relationships with cross functional teams
What experience do I have?
- A degree in fashion/textile design or similar
- An innovative and creative approach to design
- Inspirational team player capability
- Proven track record in similar design assistant/administrative role
- Intermediate level experience in Excel and Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience across either Fashion, home or lifestyle product
- Previous exposure to PLM (preferred)
What's in it for me?
- Work for an established yet expanding premium Australian retailer with 140 stores internationally
- Opportunity for hands on design including fabric selection, fittings and prototype sampling
- A 6 month tailored induction plan through the Sheridan learning and development programs, product nights, team meetings etc.
- Opportunities to partner with our corporate office in multiple departments
- Generous discounts available to stock up on your favourite brands such as Bonds, Berlei and of course, Sheridan at exclusive prices.
- Develop and grow your retail career with Sheridan, Bonds and US based company Hanesbrands Inc.
At Sheridan Group, we work with Shared Standards. For us, standards are a shared and common understanding of how we behave and work together. It defines a level of quality and achievement that is acceptable or desirable. Standards are about raising the bar.
We believe our team members demonstrate excellence in their roles when they live by the following Shared Standards:
- We Respect Each other
- We Discuss, We Decide, We Deliver
- We Own the Business
- We Think Big & Have Fun
Express your interest by selecting APPLY NOW and upload your CV & attach your Portfolio.